Meeting 2: Characteristics of Academic Writing (Scientific Writing) Monday, February 21th 2022
Assalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.
(I wrote this blog to complete my weekly assignment in the Scientific Writing course.)
1. What I have learned today?
So, today I have learned about what is Academic Writing and the features of Academic Writing. Firstly, I will explain to you what is Academic Writing. Academic writing is a formal style of writing used in universities and scholarly publications. You will encounter it in journal articles and books on academic topics, and you will be expected to write your essays, research papers, and dissertation in the academic style.
Secondly, I will explain some features of Academic Writing. There are complexity, formality, accuracy, precision, structure, objectivity, hedging, and responsibility.
a. Complexity
Academic writing is more complex and has longer words. But do not try to sound 'clever'. Your reader needs to understand what you are writing. That means in academic writing there must be a complex sentence that consists of one independent clause and at least one dependent clause.
b. Formality
The words and phrases used should be formal. For example, "Do you have any suggestions?" and "Any ideas?" so from the two phrases above we can select a formal phrase in academic writing.
c. Accuracy
In Academic writing, the technical language used must not be in the wrong terms.
d. Precision
Writing has to be accurate. That means the information given should be accurate or related to the topic.
e. Structure
Academic writing requires a precise clear structure. So, the reader can follow the argument as clearly as possible.
f. Objectivity
We can not completely use our personal opinion, but the personal opinion should be supported by some related data.
g. Hedging
In Academic writing you have to make decisions about your stance on a particular subject, or the strength of the claims you are making. And do not make strong claims. Indeed we have to believe what we are saying, but it could be wrong too.
h. Responsibility
In Academic writing, we must be responsible for what we are writing. Because what we have written and published will be read by many people.
2. What I am going to do next?
After I know and understand the meaning of Academic writing and the characteristics of Academic writing, the task I have to do next is to practice writing as often as possible to get used to writing well and by the rules of Academic writing.
I think that's all from my explanation about the material in meeting 2. Thank you so much for my lecturer Dr. Afrianto Daud, M.Ed.
Regards,
Yeni Anggrayni
Wassalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.
Comments
Post a Comment