Meeting 3: Ethics in Publishing (Scientific Writing) Monday, March 7th, 2022
Assalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh..
(I wrote this blog to complete my weekly assignment in the Scientific Writing class.)
1. What I have learned today?
Today I have learned about the meaning of ethics and some ethics that must be followed when publishing an article, journal, and so on. In this opportunity, I would like to share what I have learned with all of you and I will explain it one by one.
| https://ethics.praiseworthyprize.org/?btn=1&for=authors |
Firstly, I will explain the meaning of ethics. In general, ethics is the moral principle that governs a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity. However, in Scientific Writing, ethics is the basic ethical norms for scientific conduct and scientific publishing. So, in publishing scientific papers, we must comply with some ethics that have been set. If we violate them, we will be sanctioned and accused of plagiarism.
Secondly, I will explain some ethics in publishing. There are 5 important points that must be considered before publishing. They are:
1) Authentic and Accuracy
Research reported in journals or articles should actually have been done. We must not include false research data in our writing. In other words, we should not fabricate the data in our writing.
2) Originality
The point here is that the findings in the scientific paper must be new. We are also not allowed to republish journals that have been appeared in the primary literature, in the same as in submitting. And then, we must be avoiding "salami science", that is thinly slicing the findings of a research project to publish several papers instead of one (or in the case of the large research project to get a big profit, many papers instead of a few).
3) Credit
If your paper contains information or ideas that are not your own, make sure you cite the source. Otherwise, the threat is plagiarism. This is a serious problem and should be avoided in academic writing. There are two ways of citing that writers often use to avoid plagiarism. They are:
a) Direct quote, the main feature is to use quotation marks for the statement that we take in our writing and do not forget to include the source. For example:
Afrianto (2018) stated, “Professional teachers are teachers who can keep up with the times and changes. They should be ones who can see the opportunities that are brought to each era and can face all the challenges that accompany them.”
b) Pharaprasing, is restating a statement using your own words without changing the original meaning. It can be done by looking for synonyms for each word that we want to replace. For example:
Afrianto (2018) stated that high qualified teachers are those who always update with current situation. They are supposed to ones who are able to see chances that provided by every era and can deal with every difficulties brought by the era.
4) Ethical Treatment of Humans and Animals
If your research involves humans or animals, you must obtain ethical approval from the ethics committee. And then, in your paper, provide the needed statement in this regard. When it comes to animals, the aim is that the research we treat them appropriately. In Indonesia, this is still rarely found, but it is often used in foreign countries.
5) Disclosure of Conflicts of Interest
Ethics requires honest reporting of conflicts of interest. Ethics demands that such involvements do not interfere with the objectivity of your research.
2. What I am going to do next?
After knowing various kinds of ethics in publishing, what I have to do next is that I have to understand and learn again the example from point number 5. Because in the section I am still confused. And besides that, I also have to more aware before publishing scientific writings, and comply with existing ethics.
I think that's all from my explanation about the material in meeting 3. Thank you so much for my lecturer Dr. Afrianto Daud, M.Ed.
Regards,
Yeni Anggrayni
Wassalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.
Comments
Post a Comment